Saturday, January 16, 2010

If you had the necessary time, money, etc. to write any book, what book would you write?

If I had the necessary time, money, and resources to write a book, I would write about curing cancer. Twenty-nine years ago my aunt died of leukemia. She was initially given radiation for a tumor in her head. This was followed by chemo therapy for almost two years before she died at the age of fourteen. Now, today, a man at my church is dying from pancreatic cancer. He is also being treated with radiation and chemo therapy almost thirty years later. We’ve come a long way…NOT! Even with all the new advances in technology and medicine, people all around me are still dying of the dreaded disease called cancer. Before I would start writing my book, I would create a large team of researchers to go out and collect data. The data would include statistics telling how many people died of cancer in a given year. For example; “[Cancer] accounted for 7.9 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2007.” (1) After compiling as many useful facts as I possibly could find, I would write my book. It would include the types of cancer, types of treatments, and if there have been any new developments or discoveries in the search for a cure.
By finding the types of cancer, I would be able to find out how each type works and whether or not it is terminal. For example, if someone contracts pancreatic cancer, it is almost always terminal, but if someone were to find out how the cancer works and find its weakness, we might be able to come up with a lasting cure.
After finding the weaknesses of cancer we could begin to develop new treatments and expand on older treatments, such as chemo therapy and radiation, to make them more effective. This could not only save millions of lives, but also prevent the sadness and suffering of millions more people from losing a close friend or family member.
Recently, gene therapy has been discovered and used in cancer patients. It is an amazing new treatment and has been said to cure cancer in mice. My uncle had gene therapy used on him, but unfortunately it did not cure his prostate cancer. I hope eventually we will come up with a bullet proof cure.
After finishing my book about the types of cancer, types of treatments, and new treatment discoveries, anyone who wanted to know something about cancer, would be able to go to one place and find what they need, my book. I realize that cancer is an extremely broad topic and there have already been billions of dollars spent on research and development of cures, but if I could collect everyone’s research and make a book that included everything there is to know about cancer, I believe it could help the world immensely. This is because all the research would be in one place and if I did indeed have unlimited time, money, and resources, I would want to write about something that could be very meaningful and potentially have a worldwide impact on peoples’ health.
1. http://www.who.int/cancer/en/

No comments: